Saturday, May 2, 2009

Swim Meets

Today was a beautiful day to be outside, so this morning I watched Niece #2 play in a softball tournament. Not to brag any, but she plays a mean third base and is quite competent at either end of the battery as well. After the game, I just had to stay outdoors so I visited my favorite walking park for a quick hike. My lucky day! The outdoor aquatic facility was hosting a swim meet so I had to stop and watch for a while. Long course swim meets happen in the Spring and this one was no exception. Long course distances are 50-meters per lap whereas short course distances are only 25-yards/meters per lap; consequently, short course times are usually faster with swimmers taking advantage of more flip turns and underwater (dolphin-kick) time. Olympic competitions are always held as long course. If you are interested in swimming, by all means attend a swim meet! Though often deemed organized chaos, meets are interesting, entertaining, usually free, and most always in need of volunteers. One of my favorite 'volunteer jobs' is that of a timer. If you are recruited to time, enjoy the front row seat, complimentary drinks and snacks, and shade! Someone will give you a crash course in timing and by the end of the day you'll be an expert.